Sunday, February 18, 2007

Update on Sink or Swim with a New Operating System

Update on Sink or Swim with a New Operating System

I have worked too long in Technical Support Organizations to see people report issues that need to be resolved; demend service for the issue; continue to be insistant on updates to resolve their issue; but suddenly disapear when the problem is resolved. So the technical support person has no real followup by the customer to show that the work resulted in solving the problem. Even if it is not for a little bit of human satisfaction, but just to know that doing X+Y+Z does solve the issue for the next person.

The problem is that some Technical Support organizations have no clue to organize incoming information that could help them in customer support. Some know Organizations know how to do this. I know how to do this! In the case of a friend who asked for my help... There was not clean mechanism to report success or failure. I would have to wait a long time the phone support queue to update the support incident in order to simply say the issue is closed or that the problem was resolved. So there really is not much incentive to create closure with the support organization.

So I will have to satisfy myself gentle readers to say that I downloaded that update in 5 minutes on my high speed connection for my friend. ( It would have taken about 5 hours for her on her dial up to get this update) . I succeeded in un-installing the pre-installed drivers and reinstalled the new driver file set. Magically her printer/fax combo now works aok.

However it still is with horror as I watch a number of these pre-installed applications be shut down or blocked by the new operating system as it is not "compatible".

No, I placed my limits on getting her fax/printer combo working. I completed that task.

Its now up to her to continue dog paddling in the computer waters to keep posted on the latest sagas of her current operating system updates.

No doubt. I will be asked for further help... Stay tuned. :)

No comments: