Friday, February 09, 2007

How much Confusion can you have with just a few words?

How much Confusion can you have with just a few words?
A $20,000.00 valued blog entry. No I didn't I didn't get it. Maybe its worth a few for you! :)

I am not much of a gambler, let alone one who plays those instant Scratcher type games. I live in the State of Oregon which has a number of games, including those "Scratcher" type games seen in different States.

So it was with some surprise that a friend purchased one of these "scratcher" type games at the local grocery store and gave it to me as a present. Here is a scan of the front of that game card. I read the instructions several times on the back and played the game as I thought it was intended. I was startled to find that within the first few scratches of the game, I had apparently picked the top prize! Well I wasn't going to jump up and down until I saw the check!

So I made scan copies of the ticket for my documentation in case I was a top winner. So it was with some surprise that I found that I had won a $2.00 prize rather than the top prize when the game card was validated by the store clerk. So there had to be a lesson to be learned while almost feeling like I won quite a bit of money. So with my $2.00 win, I purchased a new card, that did not win. ( So how about a blog of this experience)

It turns out that both the graphics in the front of the game and the instruction were vague on how I determined what my "coordinates" that I would pick to scratch on the grid on the bottom portion of the game. I thought I had control of the choices. In reality the game had intended me to scratch off a section labeled "Your Coordinates Top Prize $20,000.!" and use those labeled coordinates to scratch the bottom section. Not only was I fooled, but a second person looking at the front of the instructions and back of the instructions did not see that the upper section should be scratched off. You can see by my scan, that I did not scratch that top part off.

Here are the current instructions on the card:
PLAY INSTRUCTIONS:
Scratch “YOUR COORDINATES” one square at a time, to reveal your 10 coordinates on the Jetsons’ Grid. If you uncover three of the same symbol win prize indicated in the prize legend. You can win Multiple times on a ticket.

I sent a polite email today 2-9-2007 and called the state lottery offices. The person who answered the telephone was very pleasant , understanding and agreed there seemed to be an issue with the instructions. She appreciated the fact that I had contacted them and gave them a suggestion for updating the game instructions. http://www.oregonlottery.org/

So I will keep you posted if I get any additional response from the state lottery officials.

Here are my suggested updated instructions for this game

PLAY INSTRUCTIONS:
Scratch off the section labeled “Your Coordinates Top Prize $20,000” This section has the 10 coordinates to scratch off the Jetsons' Grid. Scratch off one at a time the squares on the Jetsons' Grid that correspond to the 10 coordinates you revealed at the top. . If you uncover three of the same symbol on the Jetsons’ Grid, you will win prize indicated in the prize legend. You can win Multiple times on a ticket.


So I am not a sore loser. I am glad to understand the intent of the game.

Certainly this is an example where just a few words off on a few instructions along with unclear graphics could lead people astray. I am good natured about the issue, people do make mistakes all the time. But this is an example where just a few changes in some instructions could really make or break a person's day.

I know that the Oregon Lottery would not intend to confuse, so its only a matter a time that they will correct the issue, especially if they here more feedback on confusing games.

No doubt you may experienced this yourself at some time. Have you taken the time to write a short note to point out such issues?

I hope that if you do play a scratcher ticket, that you win all the rules, implied, direct or indirect.

I never expected to write about a non winning ticket. But you never know what you will come across to discuss on communication issues.

All the best
Dexter

No comments: